Bakman Water Company


Frequently Asked Questions


Below is a list of frequently asked questions and their answers concerning water quality, billing and customer service. Still can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us using the button below.


How do I know if I am in the Bakman Water Service Area?


Bakman Water Company services the area in Southeast Fresno bounded by Olive Avenue, East Kings Canyon Road, Winery Avenue and Fowler Avenue. Bakman Water Company also services the Rolling Hills neighborhood in Madera County. If you have any questions, please contact Bakman Water Company.

I just moved in.  How do I establish service?


To establish service, please contact Bakman Water Company at (559) 255-0324 or stop by our office located at 5105 E Belmont Ave, Fresno, CA 93727.

How do I discontinue or transfer my water service?


Whether you want to discontinue your service or transfer within the system, please contact Bakman Water Company or stop by our office located at 5105 E Belmont Ave, Fresno, CA 93727 and we can help you with the process.

How do I pay my bill?


You can make payments online here, by calling Bakman Water Company directly at (559) 255-0324, by mail or stop by our office located at 5105 E Belmont Ave, Fresno, California 93727. We accept cash, checks, money orders or credit cards.

I had a higher bill than normal.  What would cause that?


The most common causes of higher-than-normal usage are landscape irrigation system issues. This may include changes in the duration and frequency of your watering, leaking valves, broken sprinkler heads, or broken pipes. Other common causes of high usage include leaky toilets, constantly running toilets, valves or bypasses left open and increased laundry. Customers who have questions about their water bill should contact Bakman Water Company.

What causes discoloration in water?


Discolored water is usually caused by naturally occurring high mineral deposits and organic matter being dissolved in the water. Discolored water doesn’t usually pose a health risk and the color usually dissipates after the line is flushed and left running for a few minutes. If your water is discolored, please contact Bakman Water Company.

Why does my water appear cloudy?


A cloudy appearance can be caused simply by air bubbles in the water, which is not harmful to your health. Just to be sure, fill a clear glass with water and let it stand for one to two minutes. The air should disperse and you shouldn’t see the small bubbles anymore. If the water is still cloudy after the test, do not drink the water and immediately call Bakman Water Company at (559) 255-0324.

What causes odor in the water?


Odor in the water may be a number of different things. One cause of odor in water may be naturally occurring hydrogen sulfide gases. Although odorous, this compound doesn’t cause health or taste problems. If detected, first check to see if the water smells only on the hot side. A cause for the smell occurring on the hot side could be a sign of a sediment problem in the water heater. Also, many tanks have a sacrificial anode, which helps to prevent the tank from rusting, but can cause an odor when the water heater is left not running for an extended period of time. Adjust your water heater temperature to the correct setting. If the smell persists, from cold or hot sides, please contact Bakman Water Company

Why can I smell or taste chlorine in my water?


Bakman Water Company does use chlorine to disinfect the water; however, we believe in the minimal use of chlorine as a disinfectant, thus our customers should not usually taste or smell chlorine as compared to many other water service providers.

Why is there sand in my water?


Dirt and sand are naturally occurring in ground water and wells can pump small amounts of sand or dirt into the system. We regularly flush our mains to remove sediment and install sand filters at specific wells.

What do I do if my water pressure is low?


If your water pressure is low, first check the faucet outside nearest where the water enters your house. If the pressure outside is also low, please contact Bakman Water Company. If the pressure outside is greater, check your water softeners or water filters (if applicable) to verify they are working properly. You may also need to clean your faucet aerator which is a small screen threaded onto the faucet spout. If you can’t find any problems after checking these items, please contact a local plumber.

Why do some of my dishes have spots on them after they are rinsed in the sink?


Spots are from naturally occurring minerals in the water. When the water evaporates, the minerals are left behind on the dishes. These spots should be easily removed when rinsing with dish soap.

Should I buy a water softener?


Purchasing a water softener is personal preference. Hard water is not harmful to your health.

Is bottled water better than tap water?


Bottled water is not necessarily of higher quality than tap water. Both types of water must go through quality tests; however, tap water must actually be tested more frequently and with higher standards. Furthermore, tap water is much more cost efficient.

What do I do if I see and open fire hydrant?


Fire hydrants may be opened for a number of different activities; however, we usually open our hydrants to flush any sediment or mineral build up from dead end water mains or to relieve pressure from the system when making infrastructure repairs or additions. Should you see a fire hydrant running, look for our employees working in the area. If you cannot see a Bakman Water Company employee in the vicinity and the hydrant continues to run for an extended period of time, please contact Bakman Water Company.

What types of water leaks is Bakman Water Company responsible for?


Bakman Water Company is responsible for the repair of leaks in main lines and service lines up to the curb stop or meter (if applicable). The homeowner is responsible from curb stop or meter (if applicable) to and inside the house. If you see a leak on the exterior of your house, please contact Bakman Water Company and we will assess whether we need to take action or have you contact a local plumber.

How do I turn off the water supply to my house if I have an emergency or need to make a plumbing repair?


You can shut the water off to your house manually if you have a house valve. The house valve is usually located near the faucet for your garden hose and is usually controlled by a hand wheel. If you cannot find the house valve or do not have one, please contact Bakman Water Company to make arrangements.